DIVISION / DEPARTMENT LEGAL & SOCIAL JUSTICE PROGRAMME
LOCATION NAIROBI OFFICE: KILIMANI
REPORTING LINES: Post holder reports to: Assistant Program Officer
Staff reporting to this post: None
RCK PURPOSE: To improve the welfare of refugees by protection and promotion of the refugees’ rights in Kenya and East Africa through advocacy at national, regional and international levels, providing legal and other referral services.
JOB PURPOSE: To provide interpretation services for vulnerable asylum seekers, refugees, and other forced migrants to assist RCK to achieve its mandate of protection and promotion of refugee rights.
• Provision of interpretation services at the legal aid clinic at Kilimani Office.
• Provision of interpretation services at the mobile legal clinics conducted at various locations in Nairobi.
• Provision of interpretation services at home visits, administrative offices, police stations, prisons, and courts of law while accompanying RCK officers, pro bono lawyers, and/or clients.
• Provision of interpretation services at community forums whenever called upon to do so.
• Assisting in providing interpretation services in ongoing projects in the other programmes, such as the advocacy capacity building workshops.
• Carrying out any other duty as may be advised from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
1) A high school certificate.
2) Proficiency in Somali or Oromo, English, and Swahili.
3) MUST BE A REGISTERED REFUGEE WITH A REFUGEE ID CARD
4) Must have community leadership and mobilization skills.
5) Added advantages include a certificate in translation, being a native speaker, and having multi-lingual ability beyond the 3 required languages.
• Professionalism: Ability to keep client information confidential.
• Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills.
• Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating their daytime contact, to be received by 5:00 pm, Monday 21st January, 2019. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
RCK is an equal opportunity employer.
The Recruitment Committee
Subject Line: “Application for Oromo Translator“
The Recruitment Committee,
Refugee Consortium of Kenya,
Haki House, Ndemi Close Off Muringa Road,
P.O. Box 25340-006303.