DIVISION / DEPARTMENT LEGAL & SOCIAL JUSTICE PROGRAMME
LOCATION NAIROBI OFFICE: KAWANGWARE
Post holder reports to: Assistant Program Officer
Staff reporting to this post: None
RCK PURPOSE: To improve the welfare of refugees by protection and promotion of the refugees’ rights in Kenya and East Africa through advocacy at National, regional and international levels, providing legal and other referral services.
JOB PURPOSE: To undertake protection monitoring at the community level, police stations, courts of law, and prisons in an effective and efficient manner.
• Conducting monthly monitoring of refugee rights violations and refugee/asylum related cases in prisons, police stations, and courts of law.
• Carrying out immediate intervention on cases and/or gathering the necessary information and referring the matter to RCK in case the monitor is not in a position to intervene.
• Submitting weekly police spot check reports and monthly monitoring reports.
• Conducting case interviews and obtaining biographical and demographical information on refugees and asylum seekers as instructed by the Assistant Programme Officer.
• Identifying vulnerable clients and referring the cases falling within RCK’s legal and psycho-social mandate.
• Accompanying vulnerable clients to different areas such as the police station or court where there is need.
• Participating in ongoing projects in the other programmes, such as the advocacy capacity building workshops.• Doing home visits from time to time as instructed.
• Mobilizing the community for mobile legal aid clinics and other community activities.
• Participating in RCK’s legal and awareness forums and disseminate information to other refugees and asylum seekers in the community.
• Carrying out any other duty as may be advised from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
1) A high school certificate. Knowledge of English and Kiswahili is an added advantage.
2) MUST BE A REFUGEE RESIDING IN THE KAWANGWARE AREA.
3) Must have community leadership and mobilization skills.
4) Paralegal training is highly desirable.
• Professionalism: In-depth theoretical knowledge of and significant experience in protection monitoring and the ability to keep client information confidential.
• Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English or Kiswahili.
• Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating their daytime contact, to be received by 10.00 am, Wednesday 18th July 2018. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
RCK is an equal opportunity employer.
The Recruitment Committee
Subject Line: “Application for Protection Monitor in Nairobi“
The Recruitment Committee,
Refugee Consortium of Kenya,
Haki House, Ndemi Close Off Muringa Road,
P.O. Box 25340-006303.