DIVISION / DEPARTMENT: LEGAL & PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORT (LAPS) PROGRAMME
Post holder reports to: Assistant Programme Officer – Mwingi
Staff reporting to this post: None
RCK VISION: An environment where forced migrants and host communities access rights, justice, protection and durable solutions.
RCK MISSION: To safeguard and protect the rights and dignity of forced migrants and host communities through provision of legal aid, psychosocial support, advocacy, capacity building and promotion of inclusive governance.
JOB PURPOSE: To coordinate all psychosocial community services in accordance with the policies, procedures and protocols established by national standards of practice and licensing and certificate and other regulatory agencies requirements.
- Offer legal counselling and assistance to refugees at Mwingi Law Courts, Prisons and Police Stations upon instructions by the Supervisor;
- Conduct case interviews/assessments and obtain biographical and demographical information on refugees and asylum seekers and while making relevant consultations with the programme;
- Identify needs and provide requisite support to refugees and asylum seekers who visit RCK Legal clinics in consultation with programme staff;
- Update and manage the client databases;
- Produce monthly statistics and reports while contributing to the development of legal services;
- Participate in RCK’s ongoing projects in other programmes, such as the Advocacy Campaigns, Capacity Building workshops when called upon;
- To take part in RCK functions as may be specified from time to time;
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree in Law/Criminology
- Knowledge of the Kenyan Legal system and of regional & international instruments on refugees and human rights.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The Job is complex, sensitive and stressful. Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel. Work may require frequent weekend and evening work as well as high degree of autonomy
Professionalism: In-depth theoretical knowledge of and significant experience in relevant fields of counseling, Strong analytical, problem solving and drafting skills. Discretion and sound judgment in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues.
Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English and Kiswahili.
Technology Awareness: Fully proficient computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications, in particular information databases, internet/intranet services, library sources, etc.
Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
Managing Performance: Ability to supervise, coach, mentor and develop junior staff as required.
To submit your application, send a cover letter along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary, 3 professional referees including your last supervisor and their email contacts, to be received by 5.00pm, Friday 16th September 2022. Send your application to: The Recruitment Committee, Subject Line: “Application for Legal Intern –Mwingi
Only successful candidates will be contacted. RCK is an equal opportunity employer.