DIVISION / DEPARTMENT LEGAL AND PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORT PROGRAMME
LOCATIONS- NAIROBI OFFICE: EASTLEIGH, KITENGELA MIHANG’O/NJIRU
Post holder reports to: Assistant Programme Officer
Staff reporting to this post: None
RCK PURPOSE: To safeguard and protect the rights and dignity of forced migrants and host communities through provision of legal aid, psychosocial support, advocacy, capacity building and promotion of inclusive governance. We envision an environment where forced migrants and host communities access rights, justice, protection, and durable solutions.
JOB PURPOSE: To provide psychological first aid to the persons of concern including refugee/asylum seekers and host communities, particularly survivors of sexual and gender based violence, and other clients in the locality and at police stations per the terms of reference and guidelines.
• To provide counselling and carry out other immediate interventions on cases and/or gathering the necessary information and referring the matter to RCK.
• Submitting weekly counselling reports.
• Conducting case interviews and obtaining biographical and demographical information on refugees and asylum seekers as instructed by the Assistant Programme Officer.
• Identifying vulnerable clients and referring the cases falling within RCK’s legal and psycho-social mandate.
• Accompanying vulnerable clients to different areas such as the police station or court where there is need.
• Participating in ongoing projects in the other programmes, such as the advocacy capacity building workshops.
• Doing home visits from time to time as instructed.
• Mobilizing the community for mobile legal aid clinics and other community activities.
• Participating in RCK’s legal and awareness forums and disseminate information to other refugees and asylum seekers in the community.
• Carrying out any other duty as may be advised from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
1) A high school certificate. Knowledge of English and Kiswahili is an added advantage.
2) Must be a resident of Eastleigh, Kitengela, Mihang’o/Njiru
3) MUST BE A REGISTERED REFUGEE WITH A REFUGEE ID CARD
4) Must have community leadership and mobilization skills.
5) Added advantages include a certificate or diploma in social work or counselling.
• Professionalism: Ability to keep client information confidential.
• Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills.
• Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating their daytime contact to the address below. The deadline for receiving applications 2nd March at 5pm. Indicate location on the application. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
RCK is an equal opportunity employer.
The Recruitment Committee
Subject Line: “Application for Community Based Counsellor“
The Recruitment Committee,
Refugee Consortium of Kenya,
Haki House, Ndemi Close Off Muringa Road,
P.O. Box 25340-006303.